- The award is named after two prominent Hoosier public servants, Governor Frank O’Bannon and Congressman Lee Hamilton.
- A candidate must demonstrate outstanding leadership, service and dedication as a valued member of the Indiana Democratic Party, which is consistent with that embodied in the work and lives of Governor O’Bannon and Congressman Hamilton.
- A candidate must exhibit integrity and strength of character both inside and outside the political arena.
- A candidate must be considered to bring respect and credit to the Indiana Democratic Party.
- Consideration should be given to those that embrace compromise within the party, generosity to our peers.
2012 – Dr. Woodrow Myers
2013 – Brad Queisser
2014 – Hon. Kathy Davis
2015 – Michael Browning